The 2017 Design Awards Program recognizes excellence in design by the architectural profession and is presented by AIA Fort Lauderdale, a Chapter of the American Institute of Architects. These Awards are intended to promote public consciousness of the built environment through distinguished works of architecture by our local membership.
The submittals are open to built or unbuilt architectural projects of all types and sizes, and can be submitted by individuals or firms that are members of our local chapter or AIAS in a Broward County university or college and practices in Broward County. All designs must have been produced within the past six years.
The awards are juried by a panel of non-competing, award-winning, architects who are not members of AIA Fort Lauderdale and have not served as design awards jurors for at least the past 6 years. Multiple Honor and Merit Awards may be awarded in each category as entries are solely and individually weighted on their value of design excellence and technical rigor. However, only one project will be awarded the top award.
Winners will be announced at The Design Awards dinner to be held at the Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort on October 5th at 6pm.
Please note we have a LOCATION CHANGE due to damage from Hurricane Irma.
The event is still on October 5th but at Design Awards – Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort | 321 N Fort Lauderdale Beach Blvd, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304
Entrance to the event and complimentary valent parking available on the NORTH end of the hotel.
- Meet the Jury
Donald Yoshino, FAIA (Jury Chair)
Don Yoshino, FAIA is principal of Yoshino Architecture, PA, located in Boca Raton, Florida. Since his graduation from CalPoly University in 1965, he has embarked on a career with an international focus. Don’s portfolio comprises all facets of architecture from industrial to residential, with some of his most notable US projects including an award-winning 23-story luxury condo in Fort Lauderdale and several high-end, single-family homes in South Florida. Don began his engagement in the American Institute of Architects in 1971 as a member, and served in numerous leadership positions at the local, state and national levels and was elevated to the College of Fellows in 2007. As trustee and former BOT President of The Morikami Museum and Japanese Gardens, where he continued his efforts to bridge the gap of understanding between Japan and America; and assisted in the seven-year development of the award winning Harriet & George Cornell “Rojien Gardens”. Don has also served as a guest juror at the University of Florida’s school of architecture as well as at Florida Atlantic University.
Vicki Soderland, AIA
Vicki Soderlund is a practicing architect licensed in Florida, a LEED AP, and an active member of The Palm Beach Chapter of American Institute of Architects, having served on the Board for 5 years, including as President of the Chapter. She has also served several years on Palm Beach’s Contractor’s Licensing Board and as a judge for Prism Design Awards.
Her multi-disciplinary practice, which she shares with her husband, has received design awards and service honors from the local architectural community, as well as national trade recognition. Originally from a small town in Ukraine, she holds a Masters of Architecture in Town and Suburb Design and a Bachelor of Architecture from the University of Miami. Her artwork has been published in Vincent Scully’s Between Two Towers. Vicki has practiced architecture in South Florida since the late 90’s, as well as in California, and in Greece.
Mikael Kaul, AIA
Mikael Kaul is a Fulbright Scholar who holds masters degrees from the Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm Sweden and Cornell University and also studied at the AA School of Architecture in London. He is a Miami Beach based practicing architect and interior designer with a practice that includes furniture, high-end residential work and a challenging complex structure in Taiwan. His work is conceptually speculative, context driven and craft oriented. He has taught extensively locally as well as at Cornell, Rice University, University of Texas, et al, as well as internationally.
- Entry Categories
- AIA Member – $100.00 for the first submittal and $50 for each additional submittal
- Non – Member – $250.00 per submittal
All entry fees are non-refundable
- $50.00 (Entry fee includes one free admission to design awards reception.)
All entry fees are non-refundable
- Entry RequirementsAll entries must be completed within the PowerPoint template provided. Entries shall be submitted using the provided template and delivered to the chapter via email provided on registration by the required deadline. Maximum file size must not exceed 10 MB. Also required for all categories is a 30”x42” poster of project to be used in exhibition the evening of Gala. The poster is required component of this year’s submission process as it is used in the People’s Choice Award judging. All posters will be displayed within a public exhibition at a later date and venue to be determined. The public exhibition is intended to celebrate the work of Broward County Architects. The 2017 Design Awards logo will be sent to you upon registration and is to be included on the poster and within the PowerPoint. They are also available on the chapter website, design award page.
NEW this year, all entries will include a 30 x 40” poster board. This poster will be displayed and serve as the criteria for judging the Peoples Choice Award at the Design Awards Gala on October 5th, 2017. Furthermore all posters will be exhibited at several events over the next year as a celebration of Broward architecture and architects. The board is due on Sept. 22nd.
Download the AIA Fort Lauderdale logos to use in your entry submittal:
- Schedule / Deadlines
Thursday, August 24, 2017EXTENSION!! Wednesday, September 6th at 5:00pm – Deadline for receipt of application and fees
- Thursday, August 31, 2017 – Deadline for receipt of entries – 5:00pm.
- Friday, September 8, 2017 – Awards Jury Convenes for Deliberations
- Thursday, October 5, 2017 – Design Awards Gala at the Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort
- Submit Design Awards Entry Fee Payment
- Purchase Tickets to Attend the Design Awards Gala
- Sponsorship Opportunities