The American Institute of Architects was created in 1857 by a group of architects in New York City The goal of the first members was to have a place where members could meet for lectures, conventions and meetings. The original 13 have grown to nearly 300 local chapters representing 80,000 licensed architects and associated professionals. AIA members adhere to a Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct that assures clients, the public and colleagues of their dedication to high standards in professional practice.
Florida’s state association was formed in Jacksonville in 1912. By 1929 the Florida Chapter had been divided in three chapters, Florida North, Florida Central and Florida South. The Florida South Chapter was divided several times as the region grew. In 1980, the Florida South Chapter changed its name to the Miami Chapter of the American Institute of Architects in 1987. There are 658 members in the chapter.
AIA Fort Lauderdale has strived to provide its members with the services, activities and knowledge delivery required to maintain the high standard of profession.